Crystal Rapinchuk AKA @TheTeachersWife is a Midwest educator. She shared this awesome preschool craft activity themed for popular children’s book character Peter the Cat! Kids get to make his, “Four Groovy Buttons,” for this craft and have a great time doing it!
Materials Needed for the, “Four Groovy Buttons,” Craft
To make this craft theme for Pete the Cat’s buttons you will need the following:
- Small-sized paper plates
- Assorted colors of craft paint (tempera paint works well)
- Paintbrushes (foam ones are great for this)
- A hole-punch or big pin
- Some yarn or string
- A placemat you can get dirty or old newspapers, etc.
How to Do the, “Four Groovy Buttons,” Craft
To do this craft follow these steps:
- Lay down the placemat or newspaper you will be doing your craft on top of that will catch any messes.
- Take a paper plate and coloring the entire plate a single color. You can do this with four plates and four colors like the book or you can make as many colorful plates as you would like.
- Wait for the paint to dry.
- Poke four holes within the inner part of the plate far enough apart so that they look like little holes on a button.
- Thread the yarn/string through opposite holes and then cross back over in an alternating manner–it should look like a button with thread in it when you are finished.
- Your button is done and you can repeat the threading process with all your buttons until they are all complete!