Colored Rice is extremely fun to mix and pour. It looks a little like sprinkles but is thicker and does not break or crumble (or taste like sprinkles, that’s for sure)!
At Bright Beginnings Learning Center and Daycare in Sandy, Oregon, they had a great time playing with colored rice and you too can make your own for your students to enjoy.
How to Make Rainbow Rice
First gather you ingredients of rice, vinegar, Ziploc bags, a baking sheet, and food coloring (make sure to have an assortment of colors)!
You also will want to have a big bin for the rice once it is finished so that students can enjoy mixing it–have tools like spoons and ladles too for extra-fun!
- Take 1 cup of rice and pour it into a Ziploc bag.
- Add food coloring (add less for a fainter color and more for a brighter and more striking color).
- Pour in 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar into the Ziploc bag.
- Shake the Ziploc bag up thoroughly until the color is mixed-in.
- Pour the rice out on a baking sheet to dry.
- Repeat steps 2-6 for each color-batch you make.
- Once all the rice has been colored and dried, pour it into your sensory bin.
Have the kids play with the rice and enjoy themselves!
Click Here for Even More
Click on a star to rate this post!